KlezWeCan is the name and program of the still young association which is dedicated to supporting the activities of the Klezmerorchester Erfurt. Through its activities, the association presents the musical and cultural diversity of Yiddish and Jewish music and offers this experience to both the participants and the audience. The association regularly offers workshops where intergenerational inclusion is paramount.
One of the association’s main projects is the Klezmerorchester Erfurt. In 2015, two professional musicians, Johannes Paul Gräßer and Szilvia Csaranko, founded this ensemble for amateur musicians in klezmer music. Each year the ensemble works on developing a programme for a public performance.
What else KlezWeCan is doing…
- Klezmer workshops in Erfurt with participants from Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- Annual concerts in Erfurt and occasionally in Leipzig, with an 80-piece klezmer orchestra
- The KlezKlub event in the Zughafen, Erfurt
- The ‘KlezmerMusikCamp’
- Orchestra workshops in Potsdam and Basel
- The publication of a klezmer repertoire tune book
- Concerts with musicians from the international klezmer scene.
The concerts and workshops of KlezWeCan e.V. have always been a great public success and are regularly sold out. A special highlight were the KlezWeCan ‘FestTage’ on the occasion of the launch of KlezWeCan e.V. There have also been many public events, workshops and a dance ball in 2018.
KlezWeCan is happy to work in cooperation with Yiddish Summer Weimar, the Thuringian Days of Jewish-Israeli Culture, the Zughafen Erfurt and the Thuringian Jewish State Community.